Reading Town Hall enjoys a long and illustrious history. It consists of four buildings built in the 18th and 19th centuries. In 1786 the oldest building - the Victoria Hall - opened as a purpose built town hall designed by Charles Poulton.
A new council chamber and a clock tower designed by Alfred Waterhouse opened in 1876 followed by the Museum, Library and a Concert Hall, designed by the architect Thomas Lanson.Art Gallery and Library Reading room were added and then in 1975 new civic offices were built to serve Reading Borough and the Town Hall ceased its administration function.
Reading Town Hall survived the threat of demolition in the 1970s and was comprehensively refurbished in the late 1980s. It has undergone further changes to meet modern requirements and now hosts a leading conference and banqueting venue, Reading Museum and the Berkshire Coroner's Office.
Where we are:
Reading Museum & Town Hall
Reading Arts Box Office Opening Times:
Monday - Saturday: 10am - 4pm
Sunday and Bank Holidays: One hour before the show
Call: 0118 960 6060
On Foot from Reading Station
At the station, walk down the new concourse to the Heathrow Airbus exit and cross over the road to Blagrave Street, where you will see The Town Hall on the left.
From London to Reading: trains run from London Paddington to Reading at least every 15 minutes throughout the day and late into the night. The journey takes just 25 minutes, if you get a direct train.
From Oxford to Reading: trains run every 15 - 30 minutes and the journey takes 30 minutes.
From Newbury to Reading: trains run every 15 minutes and the journey takes between 20 - 30 minutes
From the M4, leave the motorway at Junction 11 and head onto the A33 into Reading town centre. Follow signs to the train station and turn into Blagrave Street, which is opposite the Reading Airbus terminal at the station's side entrance.
Parking is available at The Oracle, Queen's Road, Garrard Street and Reading Station Car Parks.
There is a coach set-down point on Valpy Street, opposite the Town Hall. Please note it is then necessary to cross Valpy Street to access the entrance at the front of the building.